top of page

Lawrenceville UMC History

LUMC Window 1.jpg

The Methodist church in the Lawrenceville area had its beginning in 1774 on the eve of the Revolutionary War when Robert Williams founded the first Methodist Circuit in Virginia.  This Circuit extended from Petersburg south across the Roanoke River into North Carolina and was called the Brunswick Circuit.  By the next year this Circuit included fourteen counties in Virginia and two in North Carolina, and Brunswick County became known as the “Cradle of Methodism.” 

 

Seventy-three years later in 1847, Richard Henry Sharp founded the Lawrenceville Methodist Church and made a gift of the land in Lawrenceville on Church Street at 88 x 128 feet.  Shortly afterwards the first brick of Lawrenceville Methodist Church was laid and the church soon became a viable part of the community.  The church continued to grow and prosper and in 1906 the original brick building was replaced by the present edifice.


In 1923 the present educational unit was added to complete the present church.  In the 1950s, the building was remodeled and further enlarged.

In 1968 the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church becoming the United Methodist Church.

The church building, in keeping up with the needs of the congregation, continues to be improved.  The sanctuary has been updated, an elevator installed, and two bathrooms including a handicap bathroom were added. 

bottom of page